Wednesday, February 15, 2006

SuperGrass Rocked my BluegrASS!

Howdy~SuperGrass was Great.Never been to Bakersfield before.Checked into the Crystal Palace Best Western and then headed over to the Convention Center which is just awesome...to the Lloyd Loar Fest put on by the Mandolin Cafe...It was really great. Talked with Mike Compton while he was strumming this great 1929 mando. Jammed with CBA Larry Kuhn and then ran into Reggie...Strawberry Reggie! Breakfeast was included with our rooms at the Crystal Palace. Pool was not heated but the hot tub was hot. Friday morning the music started at 10:00 and went til 4:00am. Jammin was everywhere, in the lobby, in the bar, in the hallways. The Wilders STOLE the show with their Commando Jamming Strategy. For a four piece band they ROCK and do the job really well! CherryHolmes played 3 times on the stage and just entertained and delighted everyone...really great band.Marty Raybon and Band was fantastic.Brothers Barton were really good too...but no Richard Green playing with them as advertised.Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver played twice and just nails the harmony so sweetly.Nashville Bluegrass BAnd played really well.Blue Highway was just wonderful.Great music, good picking and fine songs.Oh and I'm saving the best for last...Saturday night Doug and I went to dinner at the Crystal Palace, the entrance has these lifesize bronze scuptures of Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Garth Brooks; treasures and momentos and gold records and photos of Buck's Music Career displayed all along a 2 story dinner theatre stage. The Bar has a white Cadillac Convertible hung off the wall full of autographs of music legends. The food is really good too. Buck Owens and his Buckaroos played for over an hour and a half and were really good and funny too.Well anyway my friends all got up and danced just as our dinner was served so I didn't get to dance.Doug went out to smoke a cig and I was dancing off to the side...when Buck notice me and said you get over here to me...and I was hillbilly clogging in front of him and the stage and they speeded up the music and then he said, "Shake it Mama!" So I did...in my best Party Patty immitation. I think she woulda done the same if she'd been there.I had a blast in Bakersfield and played lots of bluegrass...also ran into many Strawberry folks.I also did a Kids on Stage program there for the CBA!
11:36 PM

Comments:
Regiberry Rocks! Great post. I wished I could have gone and I'm glad I know someone who did.
 
Great review Reggie...got me so wound up I just had to go & order my Grass Valley Tix this morning!

Yeeee Haaawwww!!! Time to FESTIVATE!~
 
igbob...so...going to learn how to hoe down with the Sisters?
 
I believe at this point of the game, I would simply say..."YES".
As well, I'll be frequenting the local breakfast establishments in search of early morning old timey banjer music.....*HARUMPH*
 
"I said, 'Particularly nice weather.'"
 
Early Mornin Breakfast?

At Grass Valley, that's about 7am, when Tubdude comes limpin home from the Tribal Jam some 75 yards below the Not So Grassy Knoll N Gazebo.

I just got burnt today, my boss is takin time off Father's Day Weekend. I can't Never Leave till Friday Night, again. Damn.

Oh well, there's lots of hockey to play tween then and now. Mebbe things will change . . . . Fest It If Ya Got It, Boys . . . .


Tacoma, '07, Fellers? Train Ride?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]