Monday, January 12, 2009

I heard this on the way to work and just started singing along...

We made Oklahoma a little after 3
Randy, his brother Bob and my old GMC
We had some moonshine whisky
And some of Bob's homegrown
We were so messed up we didn't know
If we were drunk or stoned
Randy was a sad-sack, tall kinda frail
Bob was a raving maniac, crazy in the head
They been kicked out of high school several years ago
For pushin over port-a-cans at the 4-H rodeo
Since then they've done their little dance
Right outside the law
Popped twice in Oklahoma, once in Arkansas
And I don't know what possessed me
To want to tag along
Cause I was raised a Christian
And I knew right from wrong

CHORUS:
Right or wrong, black or white
Cross the line your gonna pay
In the dawn before the light
Live and die by the shades of gray
We stole two Charolais heifers from
Randy's sweetheart's paw
Sold them at the livestock sale
Outside of Wichita

We got $900 and never did suspect
The world of hurt we'd be in once
We cashed that check
Next day we heard the story
On the local radio
Made our plans that very night
To go to Mexico
I swear we would have made it
If it wasn't for that shine
I got sick about the time we crossed
That Kansas line

CHORUS

I was layin in the bar ditch
Prayin I would die
When a light come on above us
And a voice come from the sky
A half a dozen unmarked cars
Came screeching to a halt
They grabbed bob, he started screamin
It was all my fault

There were men and dogs
And helicopter buzzin all around
They had the brothers on the
Pickup hood and me down on the ground
Bob flew all to pieces but randy he
Held tight when a black man in a
Suit and tie stepped out into the light
He told his men to turn us loose
They put down their guns
He said these are just some
Sorry kids, they ain't the ones

CHORUS

They left us by the roadside
Down hearted and alone
Randy got behind the wheel
Said boys I'm going home
We turned around to face our fate
Downhearted but alive on that
Mornin in late April, Oklahoma, 1995

CHORUS

Comments:
Too many words to memorize.

And, Indiana wants me back, but I ain't goin.

Ethnocentric statehood is greatly overrated.

*G*
 
Too many words? Heck, The Surfdawg somehow did it. In public. On stage. With BEER. Oh, sorry, that last one was redundant.
 
So yer saying he was from Oklahoma? With BEER?

Only you and him got the orator as good as I've ever seen . . . . must be the flats. Or the beer.

You flatlanders are wierd. But I LIKE yer cornbread. Cept ya make it all wrong. *G*

So, who's got Dylan's 'Sad Eyed Lady' memorized?

*blinks*

Damn Martin, yer a hoss, in case I didn't mention that lately . . . *G*

'Kin Slainthe and beer to Dawg, and Greg, too. 'Kin A, dammit all.

Tuesday, I'll have a chilled bottle of Bushmills (sorry SurfDawg) at 8:30am and I'll be drinking in the new boss and pray it's not the old boss. All. Day. Long. I'll be drinking.

Buck Fush. Here's to better times for the planet, and us, too. God wills it. ;-)
 
great song Marting...lyrics very clear to me!
reg
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]